The Cancer Society Manawatū is recruiting for a volunteer Oncology Host.
Purpose of Position
To provide of a positive and supportive experience for patients during their assessment, treatment and follow-up at a regional hospital or clinic.
Reports to: Cancer Society staff at hospital
Key relationships: Manager Volunteering, who oversees all volunteer engagement, Hospital staff, Client Drivers, patients and their family/whanau
Cancer Society of New Zealand - Te Kāhui Matepukupuku o Aotearoa
Our mission is to improve community well-being by reducing the incidence and impact of cancer. We achieve this through a range of activities that include: funding research, education, health promotion, advocacy and support for those affected by cancer and their whānau/families. We are committed to reducing the inequitable burden of cancer experienced across different populations.
Integrity, Excellence, Respect
Key Functions and Responsibilities
To provide an efficient and compassionate Oncology Support service for Cancer Society clients:
- Give a warm welcome to patients and their supporters
- Offer patients and their supporters assistance to obtain help from Oncology staff
- Offer basic refreshments to patients and visitors and maintain the beverage bars
- Maintain waiting areas in a tidy and welcoming state
- Liaise with Volunteer Driving Coordinator regarding transport assistance where appropriate
- Maintain Cancer Society’s information material and provide to clients where required
- Maintain professional integrity at all times, with an upbeat, professional and compassionate attitude
- Comply with the relevant policies and procedures of Cancer Society and Hospital while on duty
- Ability to work comfortably with people of all social, religious and cultural backgrounds
- Understand and respect the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi
- Ability to maintain boundaries and respect confidentiality
- A caring and sensitive manner
- Capacity to take direction and work alongside health professionals
- Understanding of the needs of those being treated for cancer
- Ability to listen
Up to 4 hours weekly, or as otherwise arranged with the Volunteer Driving Coordinator and/or Manager Volunteering.
- Orientation, ongoing training and debriefing team meetings
- Support and guidance provided whenever required
- Contribution towards travel expenses
- Volunteer identification to be worn whenever on duty
The duties undertaken by the Cancer Society volunteers must be complementary to the services provided by the hospital system. Cancer Society volunteers must not undertake duties where paid hospital staff are employed for this specific purpose, for example:
- the transport of patients by wheel chair to and from cars – this is the role of hospital porters
- core staff duties such as operating hospital computers or phone systems
Please email email@example.com with your name and phone number, or alternatively call Addis House on 06 356 5355 to organise a time to meet with our volunteer coordinator.
Please ensure you download, complete and supply the application form - failure to do so may mean your application isn't considered.
Applications close 5pm Friday, 21 July 2023.